Message:

UBB enabled. HTML disabled Spam Filtering enabledIcons: (click image to insert) Show All - pop

b i u  add: url  image  video(?)
: post by Samantha at 2007-01-12 15:53:52
WOW! Rox's just posted this myspace bulletin. It's safe to say that they're pretty unhappy with the town of Oxford.

From: Rox's The Rock House

Date: Jan 12, 2007 3:14 PM
Subject Attention Massachusetts Musicians and club goers - read!
Body: Attention Massachusetts Musicians and club goers - read!

Please forward this to everyone on your list. It is imperative we make this effort.

How many people remember what happened at the Station night club in Rhode Island. One of my best friends, and a clear industry professional Dr. Metal, Mike Gonsalves, the guy who got me into the music industry back in the mid 80's, perished alongside 99 other lives in what music can be consider to be the biggest tragedy to hit a stage in history.

Keep that in mind as I talk about this situation please, and please read and consider all of this.

ROX, the club in Oxford that everyone is having issues with is my topic here.

1. Oxford is a crooked town, always has been, always will be. We had an issue there a few years back where the State Police had to come in and run the town because of the backwoods officials. There are issues there that extend beyond a simple fire code, but they are unavoidable at this time .... or so you may think, i have a small plan.

2. Neither Roxanne nor Kim are cocaine addicts - the club is NOT run on drug money and rumors like that only hurt. I understand the frustration that people are feeling about the situation with bands getting performances shut down, but do NOT say it's a drug bar, it's a clean establishment that two people are trying to use for the hard rock industry, the performance industry and local bands. I can give you a list of clubs in Massachusetts that over the years suffered by dying for the art - let's not let Rox be one.

3. Recently there was an underage drinking sting in the area, one of the corrupt things that the town does is plant minors and sting. It happens, shit happens - it caused a liquor licence issue before the Thanksgiving holiday and screwed ROX. You think your band losing a local show is detrimental, try losing a holiday weekends worth of income that supports your club. Basically I'm saying - welcome to the world of music. If you didn't get to play your rinky dinky cover set for your 7 biggest fans and your girlfriends; imagine how i felt the day I was opening for Def Leppard and Joe Elliot cancelled because his throat hurt. Rox lost thousands of dollars of income potential over the holiday - it was crafted to do so by a town official trying to close the club by blocking income potential.

Now it comes around again and Rox is in the good, the liquor licence is in full effect and ready to go, now the town is sending in the fire marshall in to say that some extension chords are a fire hazard - this brings us back to the issue of the Station in Rhode Island.

No one wants to ever see that again. It was a shame and believe me, Rox and company are meeting and exceeding every compliance to make sure the club is safe. Media spin has led a backwoods fire marshall to say an orange extension cord is going to kill a hundred people. He is simply wrong. It has been okayed by a fully licensed electrician, a structural engineer has given the okay for the clubs floor and some very simple but minor costly issues will be taken on to override the towns questions of safety in the club. NOT A PROBLEM.

What I'm asking Sean McGorty and company to do, as a friend and fellow musician, please actually support the industry. If you don't have something good to say - please don't say it, and if you feel that strongly about losing your show - bring up the real issues, don't vent your frustration at the cost or expense of people who are actually trying to drive the industry to be beneficial to musicians and fans.

So here is an idea I am willing to make a personal effort for. I am willing to fight this issue with my own time and expense by starting a grass roots effort. It starts with a petition.

PLEASE EMAIL ME PERSONALLY AT JOEDOLAN@GMAIL.COM WITH A LETTER STATING THE FOLLOWING, YOU MAY CUT AND PASTE, WHAT I NEED IS YOUR NAME AND THE TOWN AND STATE YOU LIVE IN AND YOUR AGE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.

------------------------- cut here ----------------------------

To whom it may concern,

As a person who enjoys seeing live artists performing, I understand that the town of Oxford has been having issues with the club Rox. I support Rox's in it's efforts to comply with the town and state regulations, and offer my vote to keep Rox open to public demand for a live music performance hall.

Please be advised that I have offered this letter as a petition to keep Rox open as a venue for artists and musicians to offer their trade to the public.

Name:
Town and State:
Age:

This is an atrocity and is much of what hinders the industry. Too many people want their hands in the soup pot at the expense of rock and roll. Help me end this today and send this letter back to me at joedolan@gmail.com.

If you think it doesn't matter, spend a few more weekends at home watching Sex in the City re-runs and wondering why there is no live entertainment in town. Sooner or later, they will close your sports arenas, your local restaurants that have jukeboxes and the town park where you walk with your kids.

Please, send this back today and forward it to EVERYONE you know. It's a little effort on your part to be part of something bigger.

Thanks for your support.

Joe Dolan
www.northeastpr.com

PLEASE REPOST!
[default homepage] [print][12:45:04pm May 15,2024
load time 0.00803 secs/10 queries]
[search][refresh page]